This is such a retro dish from the 80’s. I remember my mum making this for us on a regular basis . Back then it was made with the popular packet soup mix French Onion ! Chicken Cooked and the apricots , packet soup mix mixed up and through the chicken then popped in the Corningware or Pyrex dishes and baked !
Its a quick and easy dish to do in the Cuisine Companion. I’m not an overly big lover of sweet foods, especially sweet dinners , which the apricot chicken is , give me a curry or pasta dish any day but this dish with fresher ingredients , no packet mixes like the 80’s is nice for a change now and then . I’ve had a couple of people from the Cuisine Companion Cooking Club road test it on their families and it was a complete hit ! So now its here for you to all enjoy…
So if you want to step back into a bit of 80’s nostalgia as Molly would say ” do yourself a favour “ and give this Apricot Chicken a whirl
500g chicken thigh cubed
1 onion quartered
2 large garlic cloves
250g apricot halves
50 g white wine
50 g chicken stock paste or vege stock paste
200g apricot nectar
5 g fried onion flakes
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1 tsp turmeric
Dash of pepper
Mix these two together if wanting to thicken sauce towards the end – last 3 minutes
- Using ultra blade blitz onion, garlic and parsley on speed 12 for 10 secs
- Add Oil and Cook on Slow Cook P1 for 4 minutes
- Change to mixer attachment
- Put in Apricot Halves, White Wine, Chicken Stock Paste, Apricot Nectar, Onion Flakes, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Paprika, Tumeric, Pepper and Tamari
- Cook on slow cook P1 for 4 minutes.
- Add the Chicken and cook on slow cook P2 for 30 minutes
- Ensure chicken is cooked if not add on another 3-5 minutes
- Place Apricot Chicken in ThermoServer or similar warming dish.
- Cook Rice to go with the apricot chicken – use one of the three recipes in the cookbook the peas and rice recipe goes nicely OR use this method to cook your rice.
Photo Credit Anna Cole one of our recipe testers for Mixing Food and Life’s group Tefal Cuisine Companion in my Kitchen and the cookbook ” For the Love of the Cuisine Companion Everyday Recipes” by Caroline Ross.